Arthritis is a frequent component of complex diseases that may involve more than 100 identifiable disorders. Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout are common conditions treated by foot and ankle specialists. The feet are very susceptible to arthritis because of the tremendous force that goes through the joints with walking and running. Common symptoms of arthritis include, swelling, redness, pain, stiffness in one or more joints, the formation of joint spurs, and deformity.
Causes of Arthritis
- Viral and bacterial infections
- Excessive weight
- Prescription and illegal drugs
- Systemic disease
- Ill-fitting shoes
What can you do?
- Wear supportive shoes on a daily basis
- Begin a program of physical therapy, exercise, and/or massage
- Use ice packs or hot packs
- Soak feet in lukewarm water
- Wear shock-retarding insoles
What can your Podiatrists do?
- Request appropriate X-rays, bone scans, CT, MRI or other imaging studies, and joint evaluation
- Prescribe appropriate anti-inflammatory medications
- Prescribe custom orthotics and/or shoe changes
- If the problem persists, surgery may be necessary
Book an Appointment
Your care is our first priority. Our team offers expert podiatric care in a warm and friendly environment to make you feel relaxed and comfortable.